Welp, we're going to look at some nodejs code for and aws lambda function here, and specifically the code will be invoking a different lambda function. Although there are a few ways to do this, I really wanted to find a way of chaining lambdas such that they don't have to wait for the one one they just called to finish. It's a bit confusing, but maybe with some example you'll understand what I mean. Well then let's dive right in!
Using AWS CodeStar is really awesome, and I highly recommend it. However, you need to be careful to modify your initial template.yml file appropriately or you'll have random HelloWorlds popping up all over the place. This blog post is about how to modify the template.
Once upon a time I was the serverless guy at a startup company building lambda functions. My function went into production at 128mb of memory and a timeout of 3 seconds. Because of game had "live races" we would see big spikes in traffic at certain times of the day, and unfortunately I would also see big spikes in the number of errors in the CloudWatch metrics charts... My boss even opened the website during the high volume event and noticed requests to the lambda returning 400 error. In the cloudwatch logs I could norrow down the logs to just the high volume time and see many timeout errors happening during this period. Needless to say, this is not a good look, and you don't want it to happen to you (especially you, future Jim)!
Yep, this blog post is the result of yet another great discovery by yours truly! After making a few AWS Lambda services that automate Twitter activity I realized that I needed to deploy the same function many times, each as a scheduled event in AWS but with slightly different configurations (such as twitter access keys for the desired account, keywords for posts to like, etc). I wanted to keep the same core codebase of logic for each type of lambda function but somehow deploy multiple versions of it, and I wanted to be able to upload the code in one place and have all the places where it's used be updated without having to deploy to each one individually. Here's how I managed to do it!
I've been using the twit NodeJs library that calls through to the twitter api, and I was having trouble searching for a combination of multiple keywords in a tweet. Luckily, I found this great page that they call basic search operations:
The posts on this site are written and maintained by Jim Lynch. About Jim...